Howdy everyone! Well, here we are, wrapping up another week of the read-a-long (which I sincerely hope everyone is enjoying so far) and beginning another. What do you all think so far?
Since I am hosting this week, make sure to check out the next set of questions at the bottom of this post! :)
Here are my answers for chapters 8-14:
1. Claire has been given the task of healer at the castle. She must adapt her nursing skills for the time and learn what herbs and etc will cure each particular ailment that is presented to her. Do you have any home remedies that were passed down to you (cure for a cold, bee sting or what have you)?
Just off the top of my head, the ones that randomly come to mind are taking a spoonful of honey for a sore throat, putting baking soda on an ulcer/sore inside your mouth, putting milk on razor burn, and putting toothpaste (that has to have baking soda in it) on a pimple.
2. What do you think would be the biggest challenge of living in the past? (Clothing, hygiene, food, etiquette or etc.)
I think just about everything to do with being from different cultures would be a challenge. The people of the 1700s and the people of the 1940s are just so vastly different. I would constantly feel like I was about to blurt something uncouth or do something outlandish. I would probably end up burned at the stake or something!
Although, I have to admit, the hygiene thing would be a really tough one for me to overcome...
3. Do you have a favorite character, scene or quote so far? If so, share it with us.
Since typically, characters are my very favorite part of any book I read, I'll focus on my favorite. I mean, OBVIOUSLY Jamie is all sorts of swoon, but I just love Claire. I love how spunky she is and how "no nonsense" she is. I mean, like we all talked about last week, I know that if I were in her situation, I would have been hysterical. But she just takes the hits as they come, and I like people like that.
4. What did you think about the addition of the blood bond in the wedding ceremony? Is this something you would do with the one you love?
I thought that it was an interesting addition to the story, it just added one of those extra tidbits of authenticity, y'know, that makes you think, "Oh yeah, this is definitely Scotland in the 1740s." I don't think I could personally do it, though. First of all, I would NOT want to risk getting blood on my wedding dress (silly, I know). Second of all, I just don't really like the idea of swapping blood with anyone. Not that I'm a germaphobe by any means, but it just seems really unhygienic to me.
5. Are you reading along closely with the scheduled chapters or are you ahead or behind?
I am pretty much in my own dimension. I am skimming along with everyone on schedule, since I had already read this about a month ago. Just enough to enjoy the story again and keep up with everyone.
Okay, so here's the next set of questions for chapters 15-21:
I feel like this goes without saying, but SPOILERS ABOUND AHEAD!
1) We FINALLY get to the scene we've all been waiting for. You know what I'm talking about--yay sexytimes! What were your impressions? Was it what you were expecting? Or did you want more?
2) I know that some readers thus far have been bothered by the fact of Claire being married to Frank but still being involved with Jamie, despite the different time periods. Does their time as newlyweds change anyone's opinion of that? If not, now what are you thinking of the situation?
3) What did you think about the "waterhorse" that Claire saw? Why do you think Peter was so spooked? And what do you think this means for Claire?
4) If you were Claire and you were knowingly in the vicinity of the stones, would you have done the same thing she did?
5) What do you think about Captain Randall? How do you think the family resemblance between him and Frank affects Claire and particularly her relationship with Jamie?
I can't wait to see what you all think next week! Make sure to check in next week with Asheley at Into the Hall of Books for the next set of questions for chapters 22-28!
Don't forget to link up with your posts answering questions for chapters 8-14!