When I first saw Jacinda talking about doing an Outlander read-a-long on Twitter, I jumped at the opportunity. I had literally just picked up the book that day to read it, and I thought what better way to enjoy a book than to read it along with fellow bloggers/booklovers?! I went ahead and read before the rest of the group because I know I'm a slow reader, but all along the way, I was itching to talk about it with someone! So I'm super pumped to be able to discuss questions with everyone! Plus, discussion should be pretty interesting, since we have some people reading it for the first time, some people reading it for the umpteenth time and others, like myself, who have just read it recently.
Seriously, folks, this book became one of my all-time favorites. This is one of those books that I loved so much that I could just hug it. If this book appeals to you in any way, shape or form, I encourage you to join us next month for our read-a-long, us being:
-Asheley at Into the Hall of Books
-Jess at Gone With the Words
-Logan at Logan E. Turner
-Carrie at Stalking the Bookshelves
-Jacinda at The Reading Housewives of Indiana
So now for the details.
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.
Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.
Sound good? It is! And I hope you think so, too.
Our read-a-long starts June 11th and will run through July 23rd, with posts running every Monday. Our read-a-long is a little stretched out because Outlander is a BRICK of a book, so we wanted to make sure that everyone can read at their own pace.
Here's more about our schedule:
Questions for chapters 1-7 announced at Gone with the Words
Questions for chapters 1-7 answered & questions announced for chapters 8-14 at Stalking the Bookshelves
Questions for chapters 8-14 answered & questions announced for chapters 15-21 on Tangled up in Blue
Questions for chapters 15-21 answered & questions announced for chapters 22-28 on Into the Hall of Books
Questions for chapters 22-28 answered & questions announced for chapters 29-35 on Logan E. Turner
Questions for chapters 29-35 answered & questions announced for chapters 36-41 on The Reading Housewives
Questions for chapters 36-41 answered on Gone with the Words. The end.
If you're interested, you're probably wondering at this point, "Okay, now how do I join/participate?"
1) First thing's first--go grab a copy of Outlander! Whether you borrow it from your local library, borrow it from a friend, buy a copy from your favorite bookstore (online or real life) or even buy a copy for your e-reader, you won't regret reading this.
2) Write a participation post, that way we know you're joining us, and add it to the linky posted below. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, just let us know you're along for the ride! The linky is the same on all of the host blogs, so you only have to link up once!
3) Get to reading! Read at our pace, read at your pace, read at whatever pace is comfortable for you. Just sit back and enjoy the story.
4) Answer the questions on our discussion posts (see the schedule above). Like I said before, we'll be posting Mondays throughout June and July. Stop by the host blog for that week, link up your answers, and hop around to the other participating blogs to see what everyone is chatting about!
5) Most importantly, though, enjoy Outlander and have some fun with it! We want this read-a-long to be a good time for everyone!
We also have this really cool button that you can grab for your blog if you're participating:
And finally, here's the linky to join up. I hope you'll be reading along with us!
If you have any questions about anything, you can contact me by leaving a comment or emailing me at email@example.com